Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ενδοχώρα Ηρακλείου   Click to listen highlighted text! Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ενδοχώρα Ηρακλείου Powered By GSpeech
 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Prophitis Ilias

It is probably the largest town in the Regional section Municipality of Heraklion of Kallikaratis, located 19.4 km from Heraklion and is built at the northwestern foot of the Rocca hill (height 507, 40 meters) in altitude of 350 meters.

The wealth of the town is proportional to the richness of the story of the Prophet Elijah. We know that here was chosen and built the "capital" of Crete after the recapture of the island from the Byzantines in 961, who won from the hands of the Saracens who had won (823 or 828). Therefore, the position can be said with certainty that 'host' village during the Second Byzantine period.

We also know that the archaeological investigations have shown that the position of the Rocca hill stood in the Prehistoric era (historical times) the city Lykastos (argyroessa Lykastos) for Homeric Ekatompolis on which Nikiforos Fokas built the fortress "Temenos" . Therefore the place was inhabited since historical times (about 1000 BC) and perhaps earlier.

In the next few years on the Venetian facilities built in Venetian Castle of Temenos (Castello Temene) who named it «Rocca "(= rock fortress) with the settlement at the foot out of the fortress is the "bourg" of Castello. And why is not recorded in any of the Venetian censuses know.

First appeared in the first Ottoman census (1671) named Nefs Temeno (= provincial capital Mosque) and the next known inventories appears poodle named Kastelli (instead of the correct: Kanli Kastelli = Blood fortress), due to the slaughter of Turks celebrate the carefree village was captured in 1647 and received the sudden counterattack Cretans and Venetians.

After the Ottoman conquest of Crete in Kastelli Kanli and the entire fortress was given as a fief to the traitor of Candia, Andrea Barozzi and subsequently in several other lords (saturation, Cornaro, Querini, etc.) believers in Venetian nobility.

Rich history of the town throughout the Othomanokratia and especially in the 19th and 20 centuries. The struggles and battles that took place in and around the town of recorded poets, travelers and eyewitnesses to important poetic, narrative and historical works.

Today the Prophitis Ilias (renamed in 1955) has the highest growth in the region of the Municipality of Heraklion, offering restaurants , agrotourism, cafes , ouzo bars, wineries, shops, administrative authorities, bank branches, garages ...

Many and important points are also natural, historical, archaeological, architectural, cultural interest that the visitor can know as (indicative): cave of "deacon cells" », the Byzantine Castle , the archaeological site Lykastos , the "Great" and «Little Fontana» , churches Mary Kardiotissa , Panagia at 'kaki skala' », the «fantaxospilios», the monastery of Agia Anna and more.

The town is included in the "Wine Route" and the path Peza - Houdetsi - Prophitis Ilias - Kiparissi - Pirgos. From the town and passed the European path E4. (The trail passes through areas of Agia Anna, Vitsilia - Lykastos, Kanli Kastelli, a tributary of the Giofiros, Kiparissi, Venerato) and from there continues to Malevizi. Marked with signs and recorded in any modern map. One can walk comfortably side of the tracks, the river of the Bridge).

Central church of the town is the aisled church of "Prophet Elijah and Immaculate Virgin» built in 1887.


 

Get directions
    Show the options

From :  or 

To :  or 


Cultural Center of Prophet Elias Parish Archdiocese of Crete (internal) portrait resident wild flower Fellowship Hall at the cafe Fellowship Hall at the cafe - Detail Vitsilia south of town Castle Nikiforos Fokas / Settlement Prophet Elias from east Vitsilia - Cells Diakos wild flower Castle Nikiforos Fokas, «Trypitis» Castle Nikiforos Fokas, «Trypitis» - detail «Trypitis» with wildflowers in background Church of Archangel Michael - Detail Part of the settlement with resident walks Church St. Titus beside the Cultural Center Detail of house in the village Dawn Flower (Rose) Settlement Prophet Elias from northeast Castle Hill Nikiforos Fokas (from South) St. Mary Karkadiotissa & St Irini Detail Lady Life-Giving Fountain in Wicked Skala Prophet Elias Church Lady Wicked the Life Giving Fountain Stairs Church Detail Mary - Pigi in bad Skala Church Detail Mary - Pigi in bad Skala Church Detail Mary - Pigi in bad Skala Gorge in Kakia Skala
More in this category: « Skalani

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

EUROPEAN AGRICULTURAL FUND
RURAL DEVELOPMENT

Europe investing in rural areas

RURAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Of GREECE 2007-2013
«ALEXANDER BALTATZIS»

HELLENIC REPUBLIC
MINISTRY OF RURAL
DEVELOPMENT AND FOOD






Subscribe to our news

Subscribe to our newsletter to always be up to date! See more, learn more.
Click to listen highlighted text! Powered By Multix Co.