Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ενδοχώρα Ηρακλείου   Click to listen highlighted text! Καλώς ήρθατε στο Ενδοχώρα Ηρακλείου Powered By GSpeech
 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Kerasia

The village of Kerasia integrated in municipality of Heraklion after Kallikratikis, Heraklion is the 20 km and lies at an altitude of 340 metres. It is built on the eastern slopes of the Hill "Halepa" with rich view of "plain of Kerasia ", the Lasithiotika mountains, the historic monastery of Paliani and the Hill «Kastellas», with the chapel of Saint Panteleimonas at the top.

The oldest reference to the name of the village is located in 1248 and in several other documents of the Ducal archives of Candia after that. From the first census (of Fr. Barozzi) 1577 onwards refers to all censuses until today.

Kerasia have highlighted many brave fighters, who took part in several battles against the conquerors. Particularly known for their actions during the period of Ottoman domination was Captain Zacharias Prokopakis and Captain Charalambis Vlachakis.

In the village there is a very old chapel "Panagia Faneromeni" , which was rebuilt in 1914 after disasters it had suffered. Other old churches of the village is Saint Silas, Saint George in the Centre of the village and the Parish Church of zoodohos pigi, on the highest point of the settlement.

The geomorphology of the village and the surrounding region (Eastern foothills of psiloritis) offer a rich flora and fauna that attracts many local and foreign visitors.

Beautiful paths and places of natural beauty the chapel mentioned, the early Christian Church of St. Silas, the restored building of the primary school, the hills "Cypress" and "Halepa" with marvelous view to the Cretan sea and the impressive Riverside path in the "Kerasano Gorge" that the leak torrent "Diakoniaris".

Many are the events – festivals organised in the village with rich treats and with the assistance of the municipality of Heraklion as St. George (April 23), of Zoodochou Pigis (5 days after Easter), St. Nicholas (6 December), St. Constantine and Helen (May 21), the Panagia Faneromeni (August 23), of afentis Christos (6 August), as well as 'Cooking' the last Saturday of July, "Feggarobradia" in the full moon of August and other beautiful and interesting actions.

Its inhabitants engaged primarily in agriculture (viticulture, Board, vineyard), cultivation, gardens with fruit trees and less with the livestock. This settlement on that showing good traffic from locals and foreign visitors, both for its natural environment and beauty, as well as for entertainment and accommodation possibilities it provides.


 

Get directions
    Show the options

From :  or 

To :  or 


General photo Kerasia settlement of South Alleys settlement Alleys settlement Central Church Pigi, St. Nicholas and St. Constantine and Helena court settlement near Temple Patron Alleys settlement Σοκάκια οικισμού courtyard house in the settlement of Kerasia Alleys settlement central church Alleys settlement Kerasia Tomb Venetian Doge North Central Church settlement Kerasia Alleys settlement Kerasia St. George Alley next to St. George Alley next to St. George Alley next to St. George Alley next to St. George Church Lady Phaneromene Church Lady Phaneromene Church Lady Phaneromene - inside church Church Lady Phaneromene - inside church Church Lady Phaneromene - exterior area
More in this category: « Ano Asites Siva »

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.

EUROPEAN AGRICULTURAL FUND
RURAL DEVELOPMENT

Europe investing in rural areas

RURAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME
Of GREECE 2007-2013
«ALEXANDER BALTATZIS»

HELLENIC REPUBLIC
MINISTRY OF RURAL
DEVELOPMENT AND FOOD






Subscribe to our news

Subscribe to our newsletter to always be up to date! See more, learn more.
Click to listen highlighted text! Powered By Multix Co.